Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Travel Tuesday: El Calefate in Argentina









Last year I went on a trip around the world. One of my favourite stops was El Calefate in Argentina. I'll give you four reasons to visit. I promise, you will not be disappointed!

Four reasons to visit:
  1. Without a doubt, the number 1 reason to visit El Calefate is Perito Moreno. The most amazing glacier in the world. To be fair, it was more or less the first glacier I ever saw up close, but it was stunning. If you're lucky you will see large pieces of ice break off the main glacier. It's a sight you will not forget.
  2. You will have the most fantastic guides when you hike the glacier. I know, Argentinian men can be annoying. But, come on, let's be honest. Now and then it is nice when a guy holds your hand if you have to make a big step on an icy surface. And when those guys are friendly and outdoorsy, well I think that's a huge plus.
  3. At the end of the hike a glass of cool whiskey will await you. Of course, the typical Argentinian alfajores will also be present.
  4. You will be able to stay in the cutest little hostel that I've seen on my trip. I Keu Ken is small and cosy and is built on a hill which provides you stunning views over the lake and mountains. Not only is there a dog (in my experience hostels with dogs are the best, and I am scared of dogs!), they also keep a sheep in the garden. The staff is amazing. They will provide you with the best travel information, will provide a surprise pick up service from the bus terminal and are just really nice and cool people. Oh and did I mention, once a week they will organize a typical Argentinian BBQ?!
Downsides, you ask? Well, the village is awefully touristy. 

No comments: